Designing a nursery does not necessarily need to cost you an arm and a leg, you need those, and should be within your means. In today’s financial climate it is not always possible to spend money on extravagant items for a nursery, even the basic items can cost a fortune. Budget should not prohibit you from having the nursery you’ve always wanted.
www.gumtree.co.za offers buyers (and seller) the opportunity to buy (or sell) products that are previously loved, securely and conveniently. I am going to design a nursery with secondhand items only found on the Gumtree site, in my area, proving that you can have the nursery you want ON BUDGET!
Modern Upscale Gumtree Nursery:
Budget R5000.00 for the basic big-ticket items (I ended up being R145 under budget)
Cot : R1250
Rocking Chair: R600 (paint & prep R300)
Changing Table: R1500
Baby Bath: R380
Nappy Bin: R150
Feeding Pillow: R75
Baby sound and movement monitor: R600
*I did use actual Gumtree listings in this post, they might not be available anymore when this post is published.
You can definitely get the baby room of your dreams with the help of Gumtree. Be patient and do your planning ahead of time to make sure you get the items you want at the right price.
My tips on buying secondhand items:
– go and look at the items first before committing to buying and remember they’ve been used so a small chip or scratch here and there is normal.
– price the item new before looking at it
– if you feel uncomfortable about any situation leave immediately, report it to Gumtree too
– try taking somebody with you, especially if you are pregnant
– ask the seller if items have been cleaned, you will probably want to clean it again anyway
– ask the seller if the items were in a pet-free or smoke-free house, if not then decide what you are comfortable with
– clean items or get it cleaned before bringing it into your house
There are always scammers out there trying to make a quick buck, remember the golden rule: If it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is.
Here’s some useful tips and tricks from Gumtree:
Visit the Gumtree website to buy or sell items: www.gumtree.co.za
Enjoy Shopping and share some of your awesome Gumtree finds with us!
I am extremely passionate about creating stylish spaces that not only promote growing and learning but spaces that grow with your child.
Apart from creating gorgeous, functional spaces I love doing DIY projects and I am devoted to share tips and tricks to create a happy and healthy home for the whole family.